NBC News is reporting that a 17-year-old boy accused of raping and killing his wife will not be charged.
The news comes amid a national conversation about sexual assault cases and how they are handled.
The story first broke late Thursday evening on the NBC affiliate in Georgia.
A representative for the Fulton County Attorney’s office said they had not received the news from the teen.
NBC News spoke with the teen’s mother, who did not want to be identified, but said she is hopeful the charges will be dropped.
She said her son was not suicidal.
She added that the teen was in a relationship with a woman who had a prior sexual assault charge on her record.
Fulton County District Attorney Steve Denno said he was told by a witness that the girl was the one who sexually assaulted the teen and the two were in a sexual relationship before the teen committed the crime.
He said he spoke with police earlier this week.
The teen has been in jail since May, when he was charged with sexual assault and burglary.
He had previously pleaded not guilty.
The incident was first reported by the Associated Press.
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is investigating.
The girl has not been charged with a crime, and Fulton County sheriff’s officials said that she will not receive a DNA sample.
The investigation is ongoing.
Earlier this week, an 18-year old man was charged in a double slaying in Georgia that authorities said was tied to the teen who allegedly raped and killed his wife.
The boy’s case is still pending.